Rotolux

Physics, Python programming, Miscellaneous geekness

Side trip to England

Apparently I neglected to mention that my BEC paper was published in Phys. Rev. A. Although I missed it, it also made the front page of the ScienceNews website for a day, although like myself I'm not sure that anyone noticed.

I visited Bristol U. last Wednesday and did a talk for the gurus of phase vortices. Mark Dennis whom I was visiting took me over to the Clifton bridge as was recommended as the place to go in Bristol. It stopped raining long enough for this activity.

The bridge and view were worth the reasonably short walk.
Then I made my way to the station and took the 15 minute train ride to Bath, spent the night there, and played tourist for a day on Thursday.
This is Bath Abbey photographed from the Roman Baths.

People don't get to use these baths anymore, but some creatures still do



I did two walking tours of Bath - on the night I arrived I did the Bizarre Bath comedy walking tour, which was pretty good. It's basically a comedian/magician guy doing a one-man (and one mysterious hidden helper) show involving no actual history. I also did the free Mayor's guides tour after seeing the Roman Baths - this is the history one and our guide really knew his stuff.


I had a pasty for lunch and some decent coffee too before making my way back to Bristol. Apparently the other thing to do in Bristol is to see the ss Great Britain. On my return, before catching the plane back to Glasgow, I didn't do this ... but I did have a nice ice cream because the weather was nice, and I visited the St Mary Redcliffe church, which contains a very impressive pipe organ. I would like to have heard it - It looked like it should sound really good.


So, now I'm back in Glasgow, it's back to trying to get some physics done. I haven't been terribly successful on this front so far, but there's still a tiny amount of time. I've booked my flight to Ireland, booked a 3-day tour there and organised to talk about my BEC stuff at Strathclyde U. and Imperial college before I return to Melbourne. Still more accommodation and flight organising to do but it's reasonably set now.

Oh, and the wolf cryer cried again last night, but it was only 11pmish, so no sleep was lost.

2 comments:

... 17 August 2008 at 2:51 pm  

Oooh, I love Bath. Possibly you have to really be into the Jane Austen/Regency period history to appreciate it as much as I did though. Nice pics as usual. Was it a Cornish pastie you had?

PS So have you run into David Tenant yet?!

gazzar 19 August 2008 at 6:29 am  

I'm sure I didn't appreciate Bath as much as you Sally, but I appreciated it enough. It was apparently a traditional Cornish pasty, according to its advertised description - I don't think I'd ever eaten a Cornish pasty up until last week. Alison at the next desk promised she would find out where David Tenant lives and we could go and stalk him, but she hasn't come through.