Rotolux

Physics, Python programming, Miscellaneous geekness

Arrival at conference

So I'm typing this from the Uni of Rochester having arrived safely, but without my luggage including all my clothes, comfortable shoes etc. 24hours later and they still haven't found it, but they're hopeful. I have my carry-on luggage, so I can do stuff, buy stuff and take photos. The flight was sleepless and about 28 hours of exhaustion-inducing sardine-like pleasure. So far, no jetlag. After the awful news, just before flying, that my uncle has been diagnosed with cancer, my brother tells me that at least I should still be able to visit him after I return.

My poster is pinned up and ready for my session tonight and I recognise lots of attendee names. I walked around the city of Rochester earlier and all I'll say is that the original, in Kent, UK, is infinitely nicer. I've been approached by 3 drunks for money. Actually, I found that the eastern side of town looks quite nice. I've sat waiting at bus stations for a total of about 3 1/2 hours already and ended up taking a cab to the campus because the relevant bus seems to live in the universe of Harry Potter.

In summary, plenty of exhaustion and stress to wind down from, but the others here seem in the mood to do just that, so I expect it'll be good.

5 comments:

Shakes 11 June 2007 at 9:15 am  

bl2u there Gary. :( Good luck with the rest. Take care

Cheers
Shakes

KitKat 11 June 2007 at 12:00 pm  

Whoa, what a 48 hours... Hope all ends well.

Lucky you didn't put your poster in with your luggage.

... 12 June 2007 at 11:00 am  
This comment has been removed by the author.
... 12 June 2007 at 11:08 am  

Man that's tough. Many many sympathies...

We need an update Gary! Did your luggage wind its way back to you in the end?
Question: If your luggage had all your comfortable shoes in it, what were you wearing on the plane? High heels? Cos thats a bit silly (on a side note did anyone see that the latest BB intruder was wearing a corset? And he was fairly definitely a male. Not that I'd ever watch that show though)

And how's the weather? Nice and warm? I bet its better than here...

Try not to stress, at least not about your poster or work, and enjoy being not here

gazzar 12 June 2007 at 12:22 pm  

Thanks guys. Follow-up comments in my next post. Sally, I was wearing boots, because they're a bit awkward to pack. They're not the most comfortable thing any more, but not too bad.