Rotolux

Physics, Python programming, Miscellaneous geekness

Squirrel hunting

One of the biggest groups in the physics department here is heavily involved in gravitational wave detection. There's this old resonant bar detector sitting in the entry area of the building that I thought was interesting in a kind of nostalgic way.


So last night I went on a mission to find a squirrel. I had been surprised not to have seen any - I thought it was something to do with the climate, but I was assured they're all over the place. Anyway, since the botanic gardens are just near my hotel, I decided to buy some dinner and go there to eat it. On the edge of the gardens is what is presumably David Tennant's house. Actually I'm told they sell "coppucino's" out of it.



Then there are the gardens themselves which are very different to Melbourne's, being largely indoors in a series of glasshouses.
Anyway, the squirrel I found (just one) was on a bin, which is a common place to find squirrels in my limited experience.


And I had to laugh when I saw that they actually cultivate a thistle as a demonstration of a native plant. Tomorrow I move from the hotel to Cairncross House - the longer-term student accommodation.


Since the last post I received an acceptance for my BEC paper and I kind of started to think about what I'll be doing for the next 3 months. I still haven't settled on anything, but I'm tinkering with a few things.

0 comments: